Wednesday, April 8, 2009


Hey You, Stop neck Reining That Draft Horse!
Just stop it! Get off that draft horse or he'll explode!...The style of Doma Vaquera or western riding, as it is known today, has been around for thousands of years. Originally, the style evolved to allow one free arm to carry a sword or spear in war or in the hunt, but later found an application in the herding of cattle. This style was used exclusively on a horse with a sloped croup, powerfully muscled hind quarters, up hill build, high set neck, and occasionally gaited. Examples of neck reining horses are Classical and Baroque horses such as the Andalusian or the Friesian, draft horses, high stepping and/or gaited horses like the Saddlebred or Florida Cracker, and Latin horses like the Criolla and the Paso Fino. These horses shared a common build with the war horse as both were bred to preform agile tight turns in confined spaces. The quarter horse, most commonly associated with western riding, is a creation of the late nineteenth century. However, outside the US and Canada the old style horse is still used.

9 comments:

  1. FIRST:):):)

    Great post, BHM.

    Thanks, fascinating stuff you have in your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people take credit for ideas that are so very old. :) You know, to me riding, is very much intuitive to those that are good at it. I'm not saying I'm good at it necessarily but certain things some people just get. Early folks who started riding horses had to figure out how to best sit a horse and steer effectively - without being thrown/killed (with no books or trainers to reference). They were the most intuitive and paid attention to the horses body language. The styles that evolved worked or they didn't. The people that figured it out HAD to be thinking up similar things we do today... there are but so many options. Sure, we've got Dr. Cooks bitless bridle and a few 'new' gadgets these day but really, they're just a variation of an old idea, often modified from a different dicipline - so it seems new to some.
    We aren't so creative afterall, huh? I'd like to have been around for the invention of the stirrup... talk about innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the term for it is "shock of the old". This is when modern people discover brilliance of old ideas and how intelligent people were.

    The stirrup radically changed riding.

    I love going to the Royal Ontario Museum see snaffle bits thousands of years old that look identical to our bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bhm- I must find and scan a pic for you of my old horse Ojus. He was a true Florida Cracker. Funky build and gait but man was he a great trail horse who could go all day. Very wise with plenty of get up and go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I carry a shovel in my empty hand when I ride one-handed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a horse that neck-reins. I can't use my white cane with one rein in each hand. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NCC,
    FC's have a lovely Spanish look to them.

    AG,
    Yah!! Your back! I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post.
    I have some catching up to do here too.
    I found a book of "horses in historical art" (along those lines) BIG BOOK, LOTS of paintings with olden time styles and everything. I haven't bought it-yet...I am a sucker for horse art, especially medieval.
    My horse used to neck rein quite well, but now that we are goin gback to basics again we will have to see how that memory survives..
    Interesting interesting interesting.

    ReplyDelete